I'm not entirely sure where to start with this:
Was I the only one who was completely surprised that a choir didn't walk into the frame singing "NIIIIIIINE Eee-Levv-EN!!! NIIIIIIINE Eee-Levv-EN!!!" to the tune of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus?
Anyway, let's just see how much Charles Taylor loves veterans... (below the jump)
- Taylor voted against expanding access to TRICARE health insurance to thousands of reservists and National Guard members, even those who were called up into active duty. (HR 1815, Vote #221, 5/25/05)
- He voted for the passage of a budget that, among other things like decimating the Social Security surplus and clearing the way for ANWR drilling, cut Veterans' health care benefits by $13.5 billion over five years. Oh, and it found $106 billion in tax cuts for the wealthy. (HR 95, Vote #149, 4/8/05)
- A $53 million boost to the Military Quality of Life and Veterans Affairs funding bill? Not on his watch! (HR 2528, Vote #224, 5/26/05)
- Full retirement and disability benefits for all vets? Nope! (HR 1588, Vote #616, 11/7/03)
- Granting bonuses to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan? Guess what! He was against that, too! (HR 3289, Vote #554, 10/17/03)
I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface here, but I'm pretty sure that there's enough here for anyone to call BS on this ad. This is nothing but a desperate attempt for Taylor to hang onto the Veterans' votes.
I really don't want to come off sounding like Keith Olbermann here, but... Have you no sense of decency, Congressman Taylor? You've exploited the patriotism of those who served overseas by teasing them with jingoistic icons that you don't give a flying fig about. You've even sunk so low as to exploit YOUR OWN GOD DAMNED FAMILY for your own political gain!!! By running this ad on every single television station within broadcast range of NC-11, you are making a mockery of the brave service of those who did serve proudly in foreign wars, popular and otherwise, and you are insulting the memory of those who did give their lives. How dare you?