In our brave new world of Republican extremism in North Carolina, insults to decency come fast and furious. But even still, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when I read this post by Lynn Bonner Under the Dome yesterday.
Americans for Prosperity is preparing a campaign to sell the public on the legislature's plan to change the tax code. AFP representatives and Lt. Gov. Dan Forest will announce the effort at a Tuesday news conference, said AFP state executive director Dallas Woodhouse. The legislature has not presented a detailed plan, though legislators have outlined general principles ... a role for Forest has not been defined, Woodhouse said.
No careful observer of Art Pope's corporate takeover in North Carolina will find the article surprising. But it is worth understanding the story behind the story.
- Dallas Woodhouse has long been one of Art Pope's most reliable attack dogs, short leash and all.
- Even though he's the state budget director and a state employee, Pope's family foundation is the major source of funding for Woodhouse and his campaign to influence public policy.
- At the press conference today, Woodhouse will be saying exactly what Pope wants him to say: enthusiastically promoting a plan to change the tax code, even though that plan does not yet exist.
- Woodhouse will be scripting remarks for Lt. Gov. Dan Forest, who apparently doesn't have the brains god gave an animal cracker.
- And, of course, AFP will be deciding which of the many available beds Dan Forest will occupy in the best little whorehouse in North Carolina.