After grabbing headlines about a 7% teacher raise that seems to be...er...misleading at best, the Tillisberger released the budget under cover of darkness. Senators got copies on theirs desks at 8:30 a.m. and were expected to vote on the 260-page bill at 10:15 a.m.
It's no wonder that Phil & Thom want to keep the budget secret, because it has all kinds of sleazy little personal pet provisions in it, including:
- Moving the SBI from the Attorney General's control to the control of the governor whose administration is being investigated by the SBI (something the wing nuts have been trying to do for a long time);
- Moves the ABC & ALE to new places too;
- Eliminates 4 badly needed special judges;
- Says that citizens can challenge NC's unconstitutional laws only before a 3-judge panel, rather than a Superior Court judge (something that is unconstitutional in and of itself);
- cuts health & human services spending even more, including an additional 1% cut in provider reimbursement rates;
- changes the eligibility rules for elderly, blind and disabled people, after trumpeting the lie that they were not changing said eligibility rules;
- orders the SBOE to create two virtual charter schools;
- and more, much, much more.
So this "budget revision" is largely the catchall for all the lunatic fringe idiocy, political payback and ALEC elements that the House and Senate leaders have wanted to get passed for awhile but couldn't because of various obstacles and pressure.
So they shoved it all in the budget, which they will order the rank and file to pass. Because teacher pay.