NC REPUBLICANS WHO SUPPORT KAVANAUGH ENTER HALL OF SHAME: North Carolina Democrats and activists went on the offensive against Republicans for not opposing U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. The state Democratic party launched online ads Thursday targeting GOP state legislators who signed an open letter last month supporting Kavanaugh. The ads target suburban districts seen as vulnerable in November's legislative elections. During a U.S. Senate hearing, Kavanaugh again denied he sexually assaulted a woman while they were high school students. The North Carolina chapter of the National Organization for Women, NARAL Pro-Choice NC and other advocacy groups led demonstrations against the state's two Republican U.S. senators through rallies in three different cities.
TILLIS SAYS HE SUPPORTS KAVANAUGH WHILE BLAMING DEMOCRATS FOR THEIR BEHAVIOR: “For Democrats, this was never about supporting a fair process for Dr. Ford or Judge Kavanaugh; it was all about denying him a seat at the Supreme Court in order to fire up their base on the eve of an election. After taking no action for nearly two months, Democrats shamefully violated Dr. Ford’s request for privacy by leaking her letter to the media at the 11th hour and maligned Judge Kavanaugh’s character, proving they could care less about the collateral damage they created in their quest for campaign cash and votes. The disgraceful behavior of Senate Democrats will be felt long after the current confirmation process. Democrats have outrageously made the claim that there is no longer a presumption of innocence in America. Every Democratic member of the committee called on Kavanaugh’s nomination to be withdrawn before he even had an opportunity to deny the accusations under oath before the American people. This is a chilling manifestation of partisanship erasing basic expectations of fairness and due process that have been cornerstones of our nation since its founding. This is an embarrassment and we must do better in the future. This cannot become the new normal.”
KAVANAUGH LIES ABOUT DRINKING LEGALLY WHEN HE WAS 18: Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has repeatedly said that he was legally allowed to consume beer as a prep school senior in Maryland. In fact, he was never legal in high school because the state's drinking age increased to 21 at the end of his junior year, while he was still 17. Kavanaugh's drinking has come under intense scrutiny after California professor Christine Blasey Ford alleged that a heavily intoxicated Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her while they were both teenagers at a Maryland house party during the summer of 1982. The legal age in that state was raised to 21 on July 1, 1982; Kavanaugh did not turn 18 until Feb. 12, 1983. "Yes we drank beer, my friends and I, boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. I still like beer," he said. "The drinking age as I noted was 18, so the seniors were legal. Senior year in high school, people were legal to drink."
AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION WANTS FBI INVESTIGATION OF KAVANAUGH BEFORE VOTE: "We're going to move forward," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., as he exited a private late night strategy session with Republican senators. "The committee is going to vote." The American Bar Association urged the Judiciary committee and the full Senate to slow down on the vote until the FBI has time to do a full background check on the assault claims. "We make this request because of the ABA's respect for the rule of law and due process under law," the ABA letter to committee leadership said. "Each appointment to our nation's highest court (as with all others) is simply too important to rush to a vote." Of the 11 Republicans on the Judiciary Committee, only the vote of GOP Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona remains in doubt. The retiring senator, who has stayed quiet in recent days, told reporters late Thursday, "this isn't easy."
FOOD STAMP PROGRAM FOR NC'S FLORENCE VICTIMS RUNS THROUGH OCT. 6: Residents in North Carolina counties hardest hit by Hurricane Florence and with storm losses or damage can get help with groceries if they don’t normally qualify for food stamps. The Department of Health and Human Services said the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program begins Friday in 27 eastern counties that have received federal disaster designations. Households who qualify will receive a one-time benefit through a debit card to help buy food. An individual would receive $192 and a four-person family would get $640. People must apply in person at one of dozens of program sites through the counties. They must show proofs of identity and residency and fall below certain income levels. The program application period ends Oct. 6.