Monday News: Going to court over Court

bluenccup-1[1]_0.jpg

SUPREME COURT CANDIDATE SUES GENERAL ASSEMBLY FOR PARTY LABEL REWRITE: North Carolina Supreme Court candidate Chris Anglin plans to file a lawsuit on Monday morning, challenging the lawmakers' effort to misrepresent him on the ballot, according to his lawyer. Republican leaders are concerned that Anglin, who is running as a Republican, but was a former Democrat, could siphon votes away from incumbent Republican Justice Barbara Jackson, who's facing a tough re-election battle against Democratic challenger Anita Earls. “I didn’t make, break, or change the rules, just followed them. Even children understand changing the rules in the middle of an election is wrong. What the Legislature has done is a violation of my Constitutional rights. This lawsuit is the next step in my fight to stand up for an independent judiciary,” Anglin said in a press release.
https://www.wral.com/nc-supreme-court-candidate-to-file-lawsuit-monday-morning/17749122/

BOARD OF ELECTIONS APPROVES SUNDAY VOTING DURING SUNDAY MEETING: The State Board of Elections on Sunday decided unanimously to keep Sunday hours in Durham’s early voting schedule, rejecting the local election board chairman’s proposal to eliminate Sunday voting. Republicans on the state board who opposed Sunday hours for other counties appeared to be swayed by Durham’s history of Sunday voting and because the same voting options used for the primary, which had been approved unanimously in by the local board, were being replicated for fall. This year’s early voting period starts Wednesday, Oct. 17, and ends Saturday, Nov. 3. The legislature has thrown a new wrinkle into early voting schedules. Under a new law, all county early voting locations must be open from 7 a.m to 7 p.m on Mondays through Fridays. If voting sites are open on weekends, they must all keep the same hours.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article215946665.html

TRUMP TARIFFS ON NEWSPRINT HIT NC'S LOCAL NEWSPAPERS HARD: Amid rising costs associated with new tariffs, a North Carolina community newspaper has announced a reduction in its print schedule. The Salisbury Post will print five days a week starting Aug. 11, ceasing print publication on Mondays and Saturdays. The newspaper says its Monday and Saturday print editions were its least profitable. Post Publisher Greg Anderson says the changes will allow staffers "to focus on producing a quality community print newspaper on the days readers and advertisers have shown matter to them most." He's also signaled a shift in focus to digital products. The newspaper says it has experienced a nearly 30 percent increase in materials cost, and newsprint prices are expected to keep increasing. Tariffs have also affected the price of aluminum plates used to print the paper.
https://www.wral.com/salisbury-post-reduces-print-schedule-amid-newsprint-tariffs/17748391/

EUROPEANS WORRIED AS TRUMP REINSTATES SANCTIONS ON IRAN BEGINNING TODAY: Pompeo called the Iranian leadership “bad actors” and said Trump is intent on getting them to “behave like a normal country.” Many U.S. allies believe that such language is code for regime change, according to two European diplomats involved in negotiations with the Trump administration over how sanctions would be re-imposed. The sanctions that go back into effect on Monday cover Iranian trade in automobiles and metals, including gold. The U.S. also has banned imports of Iranian products such as carpets and pistachios and revoked licenses that allowed Iran to purchase U.S. and European aircraft. Iran acquired five new European commercial planes on Sunday before the sales were cut off. The last and most significant sanctions — those on Iran’s oil sector and central bank — will be restored on Nov. 4. Iranian oil sales are a crucial source of hard currency.
http://www.thetimesnews.com/zz/news/20180805/european-allies-uneasy-as-us-restores-iran-sanctions

TRUMP ADMIN TACITLY ALLIES WITH AL-QAEDA IN YEMEN CIVIL WAR: Again and again over the past two years, a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and backed by the United States has claimed it won decisive victories that drove al-Qaida militants from their strongholds across Yemen and shattered their ability to attack the West. Here's what the victors did not disclose: many of their conquests came without firing a shot. That's because the coalition cut secret deals with al-Qaida fighters, paying some to leave key cities and towns and letting others retreat with weapons, equipment and wads of looted cash, an investigation by The Associated Press has found. Hundreds more were recruited to join the coalition itself. These compromises and alliances have allowed al-Qaida militants to survive to fight another day — and risk strengthening the most dangerous branch of the terror network that carried out the 9/11 attacks. Key participants in the pacts said the U.S. was aware of the arrangements and held off on any drone strikes.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/world/article216149990.html

Tags: