TWO MEN SHOT AFTER WINNING IN RALEIGH SWEEPSTAKES PARLOR: Two men were shot early Monday after winning money at a Raleigh sweepstakes parlor. According to officials, the two victims were shot while sitting inside their car in the parking lot of The Palace, a sweepstakes parlor off Capital Boulevard. The two men had just won money, and the shooting was fueled by a robbery, officials said. The victims were able to get away. They got help when they spotted police officers near New Bern Avenue and Corporation Parkway. The men were taken to WakeMed with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds to the arm and leg. They were released by 5 a.m.
DMV BEGINS AUTOMATICALLY ISSUING FREE ID CARDS FOR THOSE WITH REVOKED LICENSES: Tar Heels whose driver’s licenses or permits have been suspended or revoked now get state-issued identification cards from the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles, DMV said Friday, May 3. The N.C. General Assembly passed the law during the 2018 session, and it took effect this week, DMV said. People whose driver’s licenses have been revoked, suspended, disqualified or canceled will receive the cards after surrendering their most recent driver’s licenses. The cards won’t entitle them to drive but can be used as photo identification for other purposes. DMV will mail the identification cards after it receives seized or surrendered licenses. The cards are free, and people don’t need to apply to receive them.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND EATING DISORDERS OFTEN GO HAND IN HAND: Sandra Wartski specializes in treating patients with eating disorders at a Triangle-based psychology practice and recently, she said she’s seen a growing number of clients with a co-occurring substance use disorder. It turns out that’s not unusual. According to the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA), 50 percent of people with eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia, abuse alcohol or illegal drugs at some point. That’s been the case, even as there’s been an increase in opioid and heroin use nationwide over the past decade, leading to a rise in overdose death rates. Experts say people use substances and behaviors associated with eating disorder to self-treat underlying, often undiagnosed, mental health issues. However, there’s an overall lack of eating disorder specialists in North Carolina and even fewer who are equipped to treat co-occurring disorders, even as there’s a dire need.
TRUMP SENDS FLEET TO THE PERSIAN GULF TO INTIMIDATE IRAN: The White House announced on Sunday that the United States was sending an aircraft carrier strike group and Air Force bombers to the Middle East because of “troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” related to Iran. The deployment was intended “to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force,” said John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, in a statement released Sunday night. Mr. Pompeo has said Iran bears more responsibility for ongoing violence in the Middle East than any other actor, even though the American military has been focused on fighting the Islamic State, a Sunni extremist group to which the Shiite government of Iran is opposed. The Iranian military has helped the Shiite-led government of Iraq combat the Islamic State, which had seized territory in northern Iraq and eastern Syria.
AS U.S.- CHINA TRADE NEGOTIATORS PREPARE FOR MEETING, TRUMP THREATENS $200 BILLION IN NEW TARIFFS: American trade negotiators were in Beijing last week for talks that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin described as “productive,” and a Chinese delegation is due in Washington on Wednesday. Then Trump, who prides himself on being a master dealmaker, took to Twitter on Sunday threatening to increase tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods from 10 percent to 25 percent on Friday, and levy a new 25 percent fee on the remaining $325 billion of Chinese “untaxed” imports “shortly.’’ Trump doubled down on his threat early Monday morning Washington time. “The United States has been losing, for many years, 600 to 800 Billion Dollars a year on Trade,” he tweeted. “With China we lose 500 Billion Dollars. Sorry, we’re not going to be doing that anymore!” The president’s sudden combative tone — which came after his predictions last month of a “monumental” and “epic” deal — sparked speculation that President Xi Jinping might call off this week’s talks.