One of our state senators stands with Cliven Bundy and he wants everyone to know.
I stand with Clive Bundy! #statesrights
— Ronald Rabin (@SenatorRabin) April 12, 2014
So what does it mean to stand with Cliven Bundy? Here's what Right-wing Ron is standing with:
- Land squatting: Bundy thinks that federal land is for his private benefit. For years he legally grazed his cattle on federal land, but in the early 1990s, the feds told him he (and others) couldn't do that any more because they wanted to protect an endangered tortoise species. Bundy ignored them. He treated our public land as his own.
- Bombers? No one ever took responsibility for 3 mid-1990s bombings at a US Forest Service office but a whole lot of people think it might have been anti-fed ranchers "sending a message".
- Threats and intimidation:
"I'm concerned about the safety of my employees," says Jim Nelson, Forest Service district manager for Nevada. "They can't go to church in these communities without having someone say something. Their kids are harassed in school. Stores and restaurants are not serving them."
- Lawlessness: Bundy and some of his neighbors don't recognize federal government authority. They continue to graze their cattle on our land after being repeatedly told that's illegal. "No grazing" signs are destroyed. Bundy had numerous warnings that his cattle were going to be impounded, and court orders were issued allowing the impoundment and ordering him not to interfere with the impoundment.
- Tax evasion: Bundy reportedly owes about $1 million in taxes and fees that he refuses to pay. Impounding his cattle was estimated to cost us taxpayers another $1 million.
- Armed insurrection: Wing nuts gathered on a bridge [photo in the cited article] with loaded weapons, including several assault rifles, anticipating an armed battle with federal agents. Yep, they fully intended to shoot officers of the law.
Yes, Ron Rabin stands with Cliven Bundy. Ron Rabin thinks it's a good thing to have people aim loaded assault rifles at federal officers with the intent to shoot and kill them.
Harnett, Johnston and Lee counties must be so proud!