Tuesday News: Criminal negligence

deathpenalty.jpg

32 YEAR-OLD INMATE DIES FROM SODIUM DEFICIENCY IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT: A 32-year-old man died early Saturday in the custody of the N.C. Department of Public Safety, and his family fears his death was the result of inadequate medical care while he was in solitary confinement. Marsik, her daughter, Christina, and her two other sons, William and Justin, went to Duke on Friday to see Jedlica. They were told he was brain-dead, and had been so since he was picked up by ambulance from the prison. He was shackled to the bed by his left wrist and right ankle. Family members said two prison guards remained in the room at all times. Marsik and her children said a Duke doctor who worked on Jedlica told them his brain was severely swollen and that it was likely the result of extremely low sodium levels found in his blood. The family said the doctor told them there were no signs of head injury that would explain the brain swelling.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article230093449.html

ELECTIONS BOARD WILL TURN OVER DATA ON FOREIGN-BORN VOTERS: Little is publicly known about the investigation or the 789 voters referenced in State Board of Elections Executive Director Kim Strach's February letter, and the U.S. Attorney's office has so far declined to comment. Lawson said via Monday morning that the State Board of Elections "is not able presently to supply additional comment regarding the contents" of his May 3 instructions to counties. As they were issued on Aug. 31, the federal subpoenas requested registration applications from foreign-born and non-English speakers, and listed the names of a prosecutor and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent involved in other voter fraud cases against foreign nationals. As for which 289 voters in the state's Eastern District counties – or the 500 others elsewhere across the state – are the target of the demand for records, state elections officials haven't revealed many details.
https://www.wral.com/elections-board-directs-counties-to-turn-over-data-on-hundreds-of-nc-voters-in-...

RALEIGH RACIST WHO MURDERED BLACK MAN GIVEN A NEW TRIAL: According to a document released Tuesday, Copley has been granted a new trial and vacated of his conviction. According to court documents, the prosecutor’s argument that "Copley shot Thomas because he was black" is not supported by any evidence and is "wholly gratuitous and inflammatory." The documents went on to read that "the prosecutor’s argument was an improper and prejudicial appeal to race and the jurors’ 'sense of passion and prejudice.'" Thomas was leaving a house party down the street from Copley's home on Singleleaf Lane on Aug. 7, 2016 when he was shot. Copley admitted he fired a shotgun through a window from inside his garage, but he claimed that Thomas was reaching for a gun as he approached Copley's home and that he was only protecting his family. No gun was found near Thomas or anywhere in Copley's yard, and prosecutors said there was no evidence that Thomas was closer to the home than the edge of the yard.
https://www.wral.com/new-trial-granted-to-raleigh-homeowner-serving-life-sentence-for-killing-man-in...

RILEY HOWELL REALLY WAS A HERO: He kept charging. A bullet to the torso did not stop Riley Howell. A second bullet to the body did not prevent him from reaching his goal and hurling himself at the gunman who opened fire last week inside a classroom at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The third bullet came as Mr. Howell was inches from the gunman, who fired at point-blank range into his head. Mr. Howell’s parents said their 21-year-old son, who is being heralded for his bravery, was shot at least three times. He tackled the gunman so forcefully that the suspect complained to first responders after his arrest of internal injuries, the parents said the authorities told them. That final shot marked the end of what could have been a far worse massacre, the police told his parents. “The chief said no one was shot after Riley body-slammed him,” said his mother, Natalie Henry-Howell.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/us/riley-howell-uncc-shooting.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stor...

HOUSE WILL VOTE TOMORROW ON CONTEMPT OF CONGRESS CHARGE FOR AG BARR: House Democrats on Monday moved closer to holding Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress, agreeing to vote on the question this week, a rare rebuke for the nation’s top law enforcement official in the intensifying fight between the Trump administration and Congress. A second possible confrontation also looms as Democrats discuss a possible contempt citation for Donald McGahn, President Trump’s onetime lawyer, according to multiple Democratic officials. The former White House counsel — a major figure in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into whether Trump obstructed justice — faces a Tuesday deadline to turn over 36 types of documents subpoenaed by the House Judiciary Committee, most relating to Mueller’s nearly two-year probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-democrats-to-hold-contempt-vote-wednesday-after-barr-m...

Tags: