ALL NC'S GOP REPS IN CONGRESS VOTE AGAINST $2,000 STIMULUS CHECKS: Forty-four Republicans joined House Democrats in passing the new stimulus bill 275-134 on Monday. Of the N.C. Republicans who voted, all voted against it: Reps. Dan Bishop, Ted Budd, Virginia Foxx, George Holding, Patrick McHenry, Richard Hudson, Greg Murphy and David Rouzer. (GOP Rep. Mark Walker of the 6th District, who’s leaving office, did not vote, and the 11th District seat is vacant until newly elected Republican Madison Cawthorn is sworn in next month.) Politico reported that Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont has threatened to filibuster an override of the defense bill unless Senate Republicans schedule a floor vote on the $2,000 stimulus measure. Spokesmen for GOP Sens. Richard Burr and Thom Tillis of North Carolina could not be reached Tuesday.
SPECIAL DETAIL WAS POSTED TO PROTECT RALEIGH POLICE CHIEF DURING PROTESTS: Police provided round-the-clock protection at Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown's Raleigh home for more than eight months this year, costing taxpayers $165,420. The protective detail was assigned immediately after protesters showed up at her door in March. After a Raleigh police officer shot 26-year-old Javier Torres on March 10, protesters marched to Deck-Brown's home, as well as to Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin's home. Online rumors mistakenly said a Raleigh officer had shot and killed a 16-year-old. Police said Torres was armed when he was shot, and he survived the incident. The Raleigh Police Department said Deck-Brown's address was shared online during the protest, and she began to receive "numerous angry and threatening emails," Donna-maria Harris, a police department spokeswoman, said in an email Tuesday.
TO DATE, 63,571 NC RESIDENTS HAVE RECEIVED FIRST DOSE OF COVID VACCINE: The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services updated its vaccine dashboard Tuesday, showing the number of doses received through the first two weeks of vaccinations. Through Monday, 63,571 shots had been administered to residents across all 100 North Carolina counties. Only a few residents in smaller counties have been vaccinated while larger counties have had several thousand receive the Pfizer and Moderna shots. Most recipients have been white women between the ages of 25 and 49, generally mirroring the demographics of the health care workforce in the state. This week, the second doses of the Pfizer vaccine will be sent to the 53 hospitals that first administered doses two weeks ago. The two Pfizer shots are to be given 21 days apart while the two Moderna doses must be separated by 28 days. On Monday, CVS and Walgreens began administering 96,000 Moderna vaccine doses to North Carolina nursing home residents. Just below half of all COVID-19 deaths in North Carolina have been linked to nursing homes and residential care facilities.
HIGHLY INFECTIOUS U.K. VARIANT SHOWS UP IN COLORADO: Colorado officials on Tuesday reported the first known case in the United States of a person infected with the coronavirus variant that has been circulating rapidly across much of the United Kingdom and has led to a lockdown of much of southern England. Scientists have said the variant is more transmissible but does not make people sicker. The Colorado case involves a man in his 20s, who is in isolation in Elbert County, about 50 miles southeast of Denver, and has no travel history, according to a tweet from the office of Gov. Jared Polis (D). “The individual has no close contacts identified so far, but public health officials are working to identify other potential cases and contacts through thorough contact tracing interviews,” the statement said. A federal scientist familiar with the investigation said the man’s lack of known travel — in contrast with most confirmed cases outside the United Kingdom — indicates this is probably not an isolated case. “We can expect that it will be detected elsewhere,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the broader context of the announcement.
POLICE KNEW ABOUT NASHVILLE BOMBER IN SUMMER 2019, DID NOTHING ABOUT IT: The girlfriend met with the officers at her home on Aug. 21, 2019, according to the report and a later statement from the police. Officers then went to Mr. Warner’s home, a two-bedroom duplex in the Antioch area of Nashville. The officers knocked on the door but “did not receive an answer,” according to the report, which was obtained by The New York Times. The R.V., which has been identified by state and federal officials as the one that exploded in downtown Nashville, injuring three and disrupting telecommunications in the region, was parked behind a fence. Officers wrote that they observed “several security cameras and wires attached to an alarm sign on the front door.” A spokesman for the Police Department, Don Aaron, said in a statement that the police “saw no evidence of a crime and had no authority to enter his home or fenced property.” The girlfriend’s lawyer also represented Mr. Warner, according to the police, and told officers later that he would “not allow his client to permit a visual inspection of the R.V.” Bob Mendes, a member of the City Council, criticized the police on Tuesday night for not earlier revealing their visit to Mr. Warner’s home. In a news conference before Tuesday’s revelations, law enforcement officials said Mr. Warner had not had their attention before the attack. His record had just one arrest: a 1978 marijuana possession charge, when he was 21. “He was not on our radar,” David B. Rausch, the director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, had said. “He was not someone that was identified as a person of interest for the bureau. So we were not familiar with this individual until this incident.”