[cross-posted from BackwardNC]
The Jones Street House of Pain has declared war on lots of folks:
- They have a War on Women
- They actively pursue a War on Gays
- They declared War on the Environment
- They're Waging a War on the Poor
- They are at War with Public Education
But the war they really don't want you to know about is the War on the Military.
Every politician claims that they support the military. Ask any of the right-wing extremist kooks in the legislature if they support our military and you'll surely get a hearty affirmation. But then we have to look at their actions:
- They allow payday lenders to gouge their customers with never-ending cycles of payments so that Tillis can get payoffs [see June 26 entry at BackwardNC] from those lenders. It's been shown that military personnel are disproportionately hurt by this disgusting practice.
- Amendment One, which ensconces bigotry in The Old Backward State's constitution, denies rights and benefits to many people. Despite the recent US Supreme Court ruling, thousands of North Carolina veterans and spouses will be denied benefits because of the GOP's big-government bigotry.
- As if poisoning the soldiers at Camp Lejeune in the past wasn't enough, Phil and the Frackers will be poisoning more groundwater in The Old Backward State -- and Fort Bragg is right next to some of the counties that will be really fracked.
- Like others in The Old Backward State who aren't wealthy, military personnel will see their overall tax bill rise if Phil's well-intentioned [that is, mean-spirited] budget becomes law. Sadly, most soldiers, sailor and aviators don't get paid much at all, and now Tillisberger and the McCronies want military families to pay more taxes.
We can see that their War on the Warriors overlaps with their War on the Poor and their War on the Environment and their War on Gays (and surely the War on Women and the War on Public Education hurts military families too -- after all, many military families include women and students).
And we can also see that