GOP NC House Rep. Larry Pittman is a big fat hypocrite. He says he opposes abortion -- yet he is trying to destroy the one organization that prevents more abortions than any other organization in North Carolina.
Last week, it was revealed that several months ago, in the midst of a funding debate, Rep. Pittman called Planned Parenthood "... a murderous organization... getting wealthy on murder for hire... Never will I agree to give that bloody, indecent, immoral organization one penny. I will not be satisfied until it is outlawed." Learn why he's a big, fat hypocrite for saying this after the jump.
This well-publicized, grandstanding orgy of moral self-satisfaction came about as Rep. Pittman was attempting to bring Planned Parenthood to its knees by cutting off all state funds allotted to it for its health services, even though, in many rural counties, women have no other healthcare options. Instead of folding up shop and leaving North Carolina's women to fend for themselves, Planned Parenthood went out and secured a direct federal grant for four times the amount they lost from the state -- thus making Pittman and those who backed the successful attempt to defund Planned Parenthood look like a bunch of idiots.
What the federal government knew, but neither Rep. Pittman nor his compatriots will ever say publicly (because it exposes them all as big, fat hypocrites) is that only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services involve abortion. The other 97% go to preventing the need for abortion, including family planning and contraceptive services that head off unwanted pregnancies as well as health screening services that help women avoid being put in the position of having to decide whether to continue a pregnancy that puts their life in danger. In fact, last year alone, Planned Parenthood provided contraceptive services to over 61,000 women in North Carolina - that's a whole lot of unwanted pregnancies averted.
If Rep. Larry Pittman and the other lawmakers who joined him in attacking Planned Parenthood were really against abortion, they'd be throwing money at Planned Parenthood, not defunding it.
I'm tired of people who pretend to be against abortion blocking the most effective ways to prevent it. Join me in calling them what they are: big, fat hypocrites who like to climb on their moral high horses in hopes we won't notice what big, fat hypocrites they are. You can email Rep. Pittman at Larry.Pittman@ncleg.net. Let him know you don't appreciate his attempts to cut off the single most effective organization in North Carolina when it comes to preventing abortion.
Further proof that Rep. Larry Pittman is only using his opposition to Planned Parenthood as a political prop? Last January, Pittman sent the entire NC General Assembly an email calling for public hangings to be reinstated as "a deterrent to crime," specifically for "abortionists," rapists, murderers and kidnappers. Nice. Let's show our respect for life by making a public spectacle of taking it away. But what more can we expect from someone who voted for a budget that strips children of a decent education and lets them go hungry while cutting off vital services to our seniors (HB 950)... who endorsed a bill that makes it okay for the color of a person's skin to determine whether they live or die (SB 416)... Who opened the door to poisoning our water table and affecting the health of millions (SB 820)... who cut off any hope for thousands of low-income students trying to lift themselves out of poverty through higher education (HB 7).... and who refused to vote for giving forced sterilization victims promised compensation (HB 947).
Respect for life indeed.
Crossposted from www.progressnc.org
BlueNC is dedicated to making North Carolina a more progressive and prosperous state. If your intention is to disrupt this effort, please find somewhere else to express your opinions.