My US Senate Endorsement: Zach Galifianakis for Senator of the Great State of North Carolina
We are less than a week away from the primary here in North Carolina and the campaign season craziness is as thick as early-April pollen around here, especially when it comes to our Senate candidates. So I thought I might take a moment to introduce you to my choice for US Senator from the great state of North Carolina, Mr. Zach Galifianakis and encourage you to join the Facebook group.
"Why Zach Galifianakis," you might ask? Read on and learn about the candidate with the best shot at beating Richard Burr this year, his quest to defeat the right-wing of North Carolina and his mission to restore the Galifianakis family's political legacy in North Carolina.
|Zach Galifianakis - Detailed Cheering|
Zach Galifianakis was born in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. His mother, Mary Frances, ran a community center for the arts, and his father, Harry Galifianakis, was an oil heating vendor who immigrated from Greece at the age of three.
Politics is in Zach's blood. His uncle, Nick Galifianakis is a former Democratic U.S. Congressman from North Carolina who lost a race for an open Senate seat in 1972 against Jesse Helms, launching Helms's career in the Senate. Jesse Helms won that campaign with the slogan, "Vote for Jesse; He's One Of Us" - one of many race-baiting smear tactics that would become a trademark of the Helms campaign playbook.
And now, young Zach Galifianakis has finally arrived at a point where he can avenge his uncle's defeat and take back the Senate seat that Jesse Helms stole from his family.
There are so many reasons to support this campaign. But since electability has become such a hot topic on BlueNC this season, let's take a quick look some of candidate Galifianakis' selling points and core voting constituencies.
- He's famous! (good for name ID)
- He gets ALL kinds of earned media (no need raise gobs of money from special interests)
- He's great with kids (appeals to the soccer moms)
- He starred in a Kanye West music video (African American and under 35 vote) that was shot on his family farm in Wilkesboro (rural and agricultural vote) and he brought in the great Will Oldham (a.k.a. Bonnie "Prince" Billy) to guest star. (locking in the crucial hipster indie-rock vote)
- And best of all, he's already hitting the campaign trail in North Carolina. Here is Zach at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. (Bonus points for Zach recruiting some of my friends to campaign for him on stage)
So please, join me in supporting the best candidate for US Senate in 2010, Zack Galifianakis. Thank you.
Campaign Manager for Galifianakis2010