Is North Carolina is a poster child for throwing the baby out with the bathwater? Sure looks that way.
“This is a fundamental shift in the way governments have responded to recessions and appears to signal a willingness to ‘unbuild’ state government in a way that has not been done before,” the report said, noting that court systems had cut their hours in more than a dozen states, delaying actions including divorce settlements and criminal trials.
By opting to focus only on cutting costs instead of increasing taxes on the most well-to-do, North Carolina lawmakers are throwing a boatload of babies out, including:
- Selling public parks, hospitals and roads to private companies
- Cannibalizing public education to fund for-profit schools
- Underfunding maintenance on roads and bridges
- Polluting water resources so energy companies can get short term profits
- Forcing poor women to stay barefoot and pregnant, while eliminating safety nets that give their children good health care
For those seeking to understand where we are in history, the best metaphor I can think of is Star Wars. We are now in the Empire Strikes Back phase, where the power-hungry Dark Side has been unleashed. If the elections this November result in Republicans controlling the NC House, Senate and Governor's office, our state will be well and truly fucked.
BlueNC is dedicated to freedom and fairness for the people of North Carolina. If you share that vision, welcome. If your intention is to disrupt our efforts, please find somewhere else to express your opinions.
Dumbed Down Politicos
Exile on Jones Street
Pam's House Blend
Public Policy Polling
Talking About Politics
Turn NC Blue