This morning brought with it a fresh realization about Trump Republicans. They're not just petulant assholes, they're dangerous. And they don't mind taking the rest of us down with them.
I won't drag you through the evil these guys represent ... you know it as well as I do ... but I will point to a new nut case to their ranks: Mark Robinson, the GOP candidate for lieutenant governor. If you haven't noticed him yet, you're in for a terrible awakening. He's 2A terrorist, a science-skeptic, a misogynist, and a black bigot, armed to the teeth and fighting like hell for Nazi Jesus. Indy Week showcased some of Robinson's more stellar moments in a recent review:
- Eight days after securing the North Carolina Republican Party’s nomination for lieutenant governor, Mark Keith Robinson posted on Facebook that the coronavirus was more or less like the flu—and he’d seen Michael Jordan play a basketball game with the flu, so suck it up, buttercups.
- He said: The looming pandemic I’m most worried about is SOCIALISM.
- On Michelle Obama, in January 2017: “Michelle Obama is an anti-American, abortion and gay marriage supporting, liberal leftist elitist and I'll be glad when he takes his boyfriend and leaves the White House.” (Get it? Michelle Obama is a man.) He called Barack Obama a “worthless, anti-American atheist who wanted to bring this nation to it knees, then raise it back to it's feet as a European style socialist hell hole.”
- He's proudly authoritarian: “The safety of our nation is in peril because those who despise God, discipline, and law and order want to disarm those who believe in God, discipline, and law and order.”
- He does not like social justice or pastors who promote it: “Pastors who ‘fight for social justice’ instead of standing un-afraid for the WORD OF GOD should trade their ‘high collars’ for dog collars.”
- He doesn’t like the media: “The mainstream media is full of a bunch of hyper-sensitive, deceitful, childlike liars who willfully enflame passions through the spreading of false narratives.”
I followed Robinson's Facebook page for a couple of hours, so I could get a taste for the guy. It made me want to throw up in my mouth. The idea that a majority of Republican voters think he's a suitable candidate to backstop the governor of North Carolina should frighten every single person in our state. Robinson's kind of "leadership" would drag us down to the level of states like Mississippi and Alabama. He would literally bury countless North Carolinians in early graves.
The lesson in all this is simple: We need to be working our asses off to elect Democrats at every level of government this year. Do your part. Look into Mark Robinson's candidacy and spread the alarm. His kind of lunacy is what brought us the Trump Pandemic. Nothing good can come from it.