One of BlueNC's most endearing trolls wants to have a discussion about how much support Republicans have for public education. And the truth is, she and her Theocratic Minority are totally in favor of public education . . . as long as it's done just the way they want it. Take a look at the NC GOP platform and you'll see what I mean.
1. We believe in the value of maintaining a good system of public education. Good public education is impossible unless parents, not the state, have control of their children’s education.
Translation: Teachers suck, schools suck, government (the state) sucks. Parents should have control. Who cares if they believe in creationism, hate science and despise the concept of separating church from state. Who cares if they're idiots who don't have the capacity to educate their own children. Who cares if they're abusive and insane. Parents own their children and the "state" has no business interfering with their rights to control their property. None whatsoever.
2. Choice and competition have served the state well in higher education. We believe choice and competition should be used to improve public education at primary and secondary levels as well. We support tax credits for parents who relieve the burden on our public schools by lawfully educating their children in private or home schools. There should not be any additional legal restrictions on parents’ option to educate their children at home. We support charter schools and we urge the legislature to remove the cap that limits the number of charter schools. Parents are the best judges of what kind of schooling is best for their children.
TRANSLATION: Unlike any other aspect of our moral superiority, we don't give a shit whether charter schools work. We just want more of them and we want them now. Parents who agree with us are the best judges of what kind of schooling is best for their children. We would have put vouchers in our platform, but we're cowards, afraid to say what we really think.
3. The current system of top-heavy, bureaucratic, centrally planned public education fails to ensure the quality of education our children need and deserve. Incremental change to this failing system augmented by higher taxes, higher spending, and more regulation will not meet the needs of North Carolina’s future citizens.
TRANSLATION: Don't worry about our explosion in the number of school-aged children. We are against higher taxes as a matter of principle and we don't give a damn what the consequences are. Higher spending won't help anything. Ever.
4. We support measures that maintain the independence of our schools from the federal government. We support keeping our education dollars in North Carolina without going to maintain unneeded bureaucrats at the national level.
TRANSLATION: But we just looooooove the George Bush NCLB scam because it requires more and more testing without the resources to improve curricula. We like not having additional resources. That means more schools will fail and we will be proven right.
5. Real education reform means local control of curriculum, budget, textbook selection, and personnel in the public schools. We believe parents must have complete access to all information concerning curriculum and to materials used for teacher development.
TRANSLATION: Except for you commie fags in Chapel Hill. We don't want you having the right to have classes without the pledge of allegiance. We don't want you teaching your kids about sex. The government should stay out of schools except when it's doing what we want.
6. Real reform includes defining academic performance standards, cutting administrative waste, and establishing part-time and alternative teacher certification. Our students must have the best possible teachers in the classroom, whether physically present or by use of technology. Teachers and principals should be paid, retained, and promoted based on the quality of their work, not on the length of their service. All teachers, especially of high school math and science, should be trained in the subject matter they are actually teaching. All highly qualified teachers and principals in low performing schools should receive additional pay if their students show academic progress.
TRANSLATION: But not too much additional pay. Teachers suck and we don't like them as a matter of principle. We would never want NC to be having the highest paid teachers in the nation. We love mediocrity.
7. All children should be able to read and write at grade level. All high school graduates should be proficient at the twelfth grade level rather than lower levels currently allowed by the state. We believe the “No Child Left Behind” law has the correct goal of requiring schools to educate all children to grade level. Social promotion should be eliminated.
TRANSLATION: See number 4.
8. All schools should encourage patriotism and knowledge of the traditional values of Western civilization upon which our republic is based and the true facts of the history of the United States. Schools should require a semester long course on economics and U.S. Government, which emphasize constitutional principles, in either the Junior or Senior Year, so that students will be prepared to vote as informed citizens.
TRANSLATION: We know what's true and you don't. Unless your curriculum is approved by the Puppetmaster, it is wrong, wrong, wrong. The history of the US is the history of rich white men. That is what all students should be studying. The US is the guardian of everything that is good and right in the world. We can do no wrong and students should not be allowed to think critically about rich white men.
9. We oppose using public dollars to fund liberal attempts at social engineering contrary to the foundations on which our nation rests. We support daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools. We believe every classroom should display an American flag and a copy of our national motto — “In God We Trust.”
TRANSLATION: We approve only of social engineering that aligns with our twisted view of culture and civilization. We do not believe aethiests should be allowed in public schools. By "God" we mean the Christian god that hates Jews and Arabs and Hindus and Pagans. We are the chosen ones and if you don't like it, get the hell out of OUR public schools. If you don't think America is infallible, you are a lying commie who should be expelled.
10. We oppose mandatory sex education in public schools. Sex education should not be included in any public school program without provision for prior approval from parents or guardians. We support teaching abstinence until marriage as required by state law, and as the expected norm for acceptable sexual behavior. Abstinence until marriage is the most effective way to prevent teenage pregnancies, absentee fathers, abortion, and sexually transmitted diseases. It is also the most effective way to create healthy relationships and healthy self-esteem among young people.
TRANSLATION: We don't give a shit about the studies that show abstinence only education is worse than worthless. We don't care if we're helping to promote a national epidemic of STDs. We don't want to be bothered with the facts. Our ideology is most important. No school system in the state should have the right to disagree with us, no matter what the parents in that system think.
The list goes on, but I'm getting ready to throw up after spending so much time examining the lunatic fringe. Take some Pepto Bismol, and go look for yourself if you dare.